Tru64 User wrote:

>Hi  ALL,
>
>I have one suggestion to make. To minimize traffic on
>this list and make it a "Read All" list, i suggest the
>following rules which are being followed on a
>different list I am subscribing to to be adopted on
>this list:
>
>After a question is posted, all replies should go
>directly ONLY to the person who posted the question.
>After a satisfactory resolution, the original poster
>should then post a SUMMARY:, which is a description
>to what/how the problem was solved, to the list.
>
>If responses slow down, and problem has not been
>resolved, then the original poster can submit an
>UPDATE: to the status of his problem if not resolved.
>
>Finally, if a problem is never resolved, send a
>SUMMARY anyway, to say that problem was not
>resolved/or no replies. U might be suprised how many
>more may reply then, since they always assumed someone
>else had : -)
>
>That way, every post will have mostly 2-3 total
>entries only.
>
>1. Original Question
>2. (Optional)UPDATE &
>3. SUMMARY.
>
>Heading should be tagged as such too, to show whether
>this is an UPDATE or a SUMMARY. This makes it easier
>to filter into peoples mailboxes.
>That way, it will be very useful to all of us, and
>future users of mdk.
>
>I come across posts that should be offline....like
>email today said "I can say more offline than here"
>and then, another email reply goes "I tell you"
>Those should not belong here in my opinion. Those two
>lines are 2/116 i received from Sat 10AM to Monday
>10AM. Automatically it forces a "HighLight ALL,
>DELETE" for it takes too long to read all
>emails...only to find out that a big number should not
>have been posted to the public to begin with.
>
>Let me know what you guys think. BTW, who is the list
>monitor?
>
>_Thanks
>
>Richard Mollel
>

>=====

I don't think that is a very good idea.  The thinking out loud that
happens here and in the cooker list is what leads to solutions.

If after the first post all responses are off list how does anyone
profit by, or add to, the information being passed back and forth
between the original poster and the responders?  You never know when
someone might say something that will jog someone's memory or
imagination.  They can't add to the discussion in real time if they
don't know what's being said.

--
Brant Fitzsimmons
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed.
Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being
self-evident."
                                -Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)