On Sat, 2003-07-05 at 13:31, dfox wrote:
> Somebody scribbled about [expert] CDRW
> >Hi all,
> >after compiling K3b 0.9pre 2 after reinstalling KDE, I can now burn
> >audio CD's on my second somewhat older CDRW.and using Gnome as the WM !
>
> I'm not sure (since I don't have a cdrw) if there really is a difference
> in the model which would prevent k3b from doing what you want. But
> while we're on the subject, I'm in the market for a burner. It's about
> time ;).
>
> Is it pretty much a plug-n-play situation these days? I'm likely going
> atapi, and have a spare connnector (/dev/hdd). I've seen combo dvd
> readers/cd rws. are these supported? There a several out there that are
> 'bare bones' it seems - prices under $50.

Dfox,

Be real careful what you get here.  There are nice combos out there, but
when I was looking the good ones were hard to find.  The real pick for
me was a drive that would be able to do backup copies of copy protected
games or software.  If you can get a drive that does that then you've
got a high quality drive.  Liteon has a good track record for that, or
Toshiba.  I ended up getting a Toshiba SD-R1202 DVD-R CDRW and it's been
flawless for doing very demanding stuff.  Stuff like SecureRom

The definitive place to look for the best cdrw's is the CloneCD site.
There they have a bunch of drives already tested by the cdrw hackers, so
you can look through it all and pick what you want based on hard
performance rather than heresay.

For example consider the data that I researched before I bought my
drive.

http://www.elby.ch/en/products/clone_cd/writers/t.html#toshiba

At the left of this page you will see indices's for just about all of
the DVD or cdrw makers.  Check out the Toshiba SD-R1202, you see several
things.  They are all vital.

1. Best Write Mode --  RAW-DAO 96

2. Best Read Mode  --  RAW+96

3. Best Audio Read Mode -- RAW+96

4. Buffer-Underrun Technology  --  Two Sheeps

5. Correct EFM- Encoding  --  Two Sheeps

Two sheeps is the highest rating for a characteristic.  The read and
write modes you see above are the best ones available; not all drives
offer these modes, in fact the majority of the drives out there will not
give you this level of flexibility.  The bottom of the URL page is an
interesting section, the legend, and here are a few tidbits:

Best Write Mode

RAW-DAO 96 = 2352 bytes RAW Data + 96 Bytes P-W Subchannel Data. This is
the best mode for CloneCD. It allows writing of all subchannel
information, including Digital Signatures, CD-Text, ISRC, Catalog
Numbers, CD+G, CD+MIDI, Gaps, Indices and Crazy TOCs.
RAW-DAO 94 = 2352 bytes RAW Data + 94 Bytes P-W Subchannel Data. Same as
RAW-DAO 96, but 2-Bytes CRC of the Q Subchannel are generated by the
writer.
RAW-DAO 16 = 2352 bytes RAW Data + 16 Bytes P-Q Subchannel Data. This is
the second best mode for CloneCD. It allows writing of most subchannel
information, including most Digital Signatures, ISRC, Catalog Numbers,
Gaps, Indices and Crazy TOCs. 2-Bytes CRC of the Q Subchannel are
generated by the writer.
RAW-SAO = 2352 bytes RAW Data. This is the third best mode for CloneCD.
Feature support is drive dependend. ISRC, Catalog Numbers and Indices
can be written. Usually CD-Text, CD+G and CD+MIDI can be written as
well. Crazy TOCs and Digital Signatures can't be written in this mode.
SAO = 2352 bytes error corrected Data. This is the worst mode for
CloneCD. Writing of ISRC, Catalog Numbers, Indices and usually CD- Text
is supported.
- = Writing to this drive is not supported. CloneCD will not recognize
the drive as a CD-Recorder.

Correct EFM-Encoding

Two Sheeps = Drive writes regular bit patterns correctly.
One Sheep  = Drive writes regular bit patterns almost correctly.
Gray Sheep = Drive does not write regular bit patterns correctly or has
not yet been tested. Use "Emulate weak sectors".

Best Data-Read Mode

RAW+96 = 2352 bytes RAW Data + 96 Bytes P-W Subchannel Data. This is the
best mode for CloneCD. Reads all subchannel information like ISRC,
Catalog Numbers, CD+G, CD+MIDI, Gaps, Indices, Digital Signatures.
RAW+16 = 2352 bytes RAW Data + 16 Bytes P-Q Subchannel Data. This is the
second best mode for CloneCD. Reads most subchannel information like
Gaps, Indices and most Digital Signatures.
RAW = 2352 bytes RAW Data. No Subchannel Data can be read.
- = Reading from this drive is not supported.

Best Audio-Read Mode

RAW+96 = 2352 bytes RAW Data + 96 Bytes P-W Subchannel Data. This is the
best mode for CloneCD. Reads all subchannel information like ISRC,
Catalog Numbers, CD+G, CD+MIDI, Gaps, Indices, Digital Signatures.
RAW+16 = 2352 bytes RAW Data + 16 Bytes P-Q Subchannel Data. This is the
second best mode for CloneCD. Reads most subchannel information like
Gaps, Indices and most Digital Signatures.
RAW = 2352 bytes RAW Data. No Subchannel Data can be read.
- = Reading from this drive is not supported.

The verbage above reads "best modes for CloneCD"; in actuality these
hardware modes (that the Toshiba SD-R1202 exemplifies) are required for
ANY software that will be doing things like reproducing weak sectors or
getting *true* 1 to 1 copies of anything.  The best hardware mode for
CloneCD will be the best performing mode for *any* capable software.  If
the hardware mode is there then you can use it with any decent
software.  But if the hardware mode is not there then you never have any
chance of using it at all.

Good luck,

:)

--LX
--
Kernel 2.4.21-0.13mdk       Linux Mandrake 9.1