On Thursday 31 July 2003 05:33 pm, Felix Miata wrote:
> Bill Mullen wrote:
> > I hate to bring up something that's been rehashed over and over again in
> > so many forums, but I must ask, why do you feel any need at *all* to log
> > into a full-blown X session as root? I have /never/ needed to do this
> > (I'm not saying I've never done it, just that in retrospect I've never
> > *needed* to, and I haven't done so for a very long time now). Frankly I
> > just don't understand how this can ever be neccessary, or even all that
> > helpful, to anyone; the risks, OTOH, are considerable and, to my way of
> > thinking, are entirely and easily avoidable merely by never doing that.
> >
> > Enlighten me, would you? :)
>
> I don't do it often, but the usual reason is not remembering or not
> being able to figure out how to do some kind of configuration in bash
> that Mandrake provides GUI tools to do easily. I've never figured out
> the ramifications of doing su in a normal login to do such things, so I
> just don't.

I'm not sure what you man by ramifications, but you can start any gui program
as root that you need to run simply by launching it from the command line
that you have su'd to root in, or you can learn how to use sudo, so that
non-root users can perform certain root related tasks like installing rpm's
and such.
--
/g

"Outside of a dog, a man's best friend is a book, inside
a dog it's too dark to read" -Groucho Marx