Let me add one more thing about Grub that many people are not aware of. Grub has a shell-like interface which you can bring up when the Grub menu appears. From this shell you can search for kernels on your drives, set the root partition and kernel to boot from and then boot into you new setup on the fly. This means that even if you screw up that text file, you can still boot into your system without resorting to booting from a CD.

Avi