Felix Miata said:

> Bill Mullen wrote:
>
>> I hate to bring up something that's been rehashed over and over again in
>> so many forums, but I must ask, why do you feel any need at *all* to log
>> into a full-blown X session as root? I have /never/ needed to do this
>> (I'm
>> not saying I've never done it, just that in retrospect I've never
>> *needed*
>> to, and I haven't done so for a very long time now). Frankly I just
>> don't
>> understand how this can ever be neccessary, or even all that helpful, to
>> anyone; the risks, OTOH, are considerable and, to my way of thinking,
>> are
>> entirely and easily avoidable merely by never doing that.
>
>> Enlighten me, would you? :)
>
> I don't do it often, but the usual reason is not remembering or not
> being able to figure out how to do some kind of configuration in bash
> that Mandrake provides GUI tools to do easily. I've never figured out
> the ramifications of doing su in a normal login to do such things, so I
> just don't.
> --

I don't know of any problems with doing 'su' then launching the required
program.   In fact, this is what I always recommend that people do.   And
in most cases, the Mandrake tools can be accessed as a user, with a prompt
for the root password.

--
Live fast, die young,
You're sucking up my bandwidth.