On Thu, 2003-08-21 at 14:23, Richard wrote:
> On Wednesday 20.August.2003 07:04 pm, Jim C wrote:
> > I really would like to see Mandrake get involved with the RULE (Run
> > Up-to-date Linux Everywhere ) poject.
> > It would also really click with the CLIC project. ;-)  [place wince
> > here] One of the bigest problems we had with our cluster was with
> > trying to use out-of-date hardware with modern software.  RULE is a
> > RedHat based project to eliminate this problem.
> >
> > Jim C.
>
> I Marco at RULE.  He says it will be, basically, a new project because
> the original was RedHat centric because that's what they were using
> when they began trying to get Linux on smaller boxes.
>
> Michael Fratoni modified the RedHat installer.  Someone would have to do
> the same for the Mandrake installer.  Perhaps it could be incorporated
> or become an option of the Mandrake installer?

biggest hassle would be the exact same hassle that RULE had.  The
current installer requires too dang much ram.  Getting around this was
the single biggest problem they had.  I was doing some testing for them
in the early days, and this was the hassle that drove them nuts.  Even
the current installer run in graphical mode requires at least 64 megs to
run.  Not to mention the problems with modules etc.  It could be done.
Yes.  But it might be easier to create a new low mem installer than to
back port the current one.  My thought would be this.  Could you drop
back to say the 7.0 installer and work from there? (prior to this it was
primarily a modded RH installer anyway.  Or even do what MDK did in the
beginning.  Mod a RH installer (in this case the RULE installer) to do
MDK rpms?  Or what about the idea of creating a 100meg image and enough
of a linux system on a cd.  Partition the drive (say 100meg root 50meg
swap and 350 megs for home (500meg drive) Then copy the 100meg image to
/  add users, run lilo and reboot.

James