There is an interesting article in Linux Magazine's June edition that may pertain to this. The subject is a project called RULE (Run Up-to-date Linux Everywhere).
It comes with an XFree86 replacement called Kdrive that may be of interest.

Jim C.

Dick Gevers wrote:

Hi all,

Mandrake has no hardware requirements for monitor size or resolution. I have
a 13 inch monitor which supports only a resolution of 640x480.

Some KDE screens give me big problems with this, e.g. Konqueror > Search and
Panel taskbar configuration. When I file a bug at KDE I get as an answer
that they support only 800x600 minimum. If this goes on I will be forced to
look for another window manager. In GNOME, however, the problems are bigger:
many applications are unworkable for me. The other window managers I found
to have each their own problems and or bugs. IceWM looks like the best
option.

(Blackbox and Fluxbox are very counterintuitive for me, Xfce and Waimea are
buggy. AfterStep I didn`t manage to get running).

Am I being forced to buy a pricy monitor to be able to continue using Linux?
I can`t believe that. Long ago when I was using Windows I hardly had such a
problem, at least not with M$ programs, but I never want to go back to
Windows, if I can avoid it. A larger video monitor I have no room for and a
larger flatscreen I cannot afford.

I am quite worried that soon Mandrake will have the same requirement as KDE.

I would appreciate any ideas and thoughts about which way we are evolving in
this respect and/or how I might solve this problem.

Thanks and regards,
=Dick Gevers=