On Tue, 2003-08-19 at 08:08, Dick Gevers wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Mandrake has no hardware requirements for monitor size or resolution. I have
> a 13 inch monitor which supports only a resolution of 640x480.
>
> Some KDE screens give me big problems with this, e.g. Konqueror > Search and
> Panel taskbar configuration. When I file a bug at KDE I get as an answer
> that they support only 800x600 minimum. If this goes on I will be forced to
> look for another window manager. In GNOME, however, the problems are bigger:
> many applications are unworkable for me. The other window managers I found
> to have each their own problems and or bugs. IceWM looks like the best
> option.
>
> (Blackbox and Fluxbox are very counterintuitive for me, Xfce and Waimea are
> buggy. AfterStep I didn`t manage to get running).
>
> Am I being forced to buy a pricy monitor to be able to continue using Linux?
> I can`t believe that. Long ago when I was using Windows I hardly had such a
> problem, at least not with M$ programs, but I never want to go back to
> Windows, if I can avoid it. A larger video monitor I have no room for and a
> larger flatscreen I cannot afford.
>
> I am quite worried that soon Mandrake will have the same requirement as KDE.
>
> I would appreciate any ideas and thoughts about which way we are evolving in
> this respect and/or how I might solve this problem.
>
> Thanks and regards,
> =Dick Gevers=

For speed ..... size compatibility, and configurability ICE is a dream.
Windowmaker is close (and it's a fork from AfterStep so it should be
familiar if you like that one.) .... but ... ICE I agree is the best.
Heck my laptop does 1024x768 max and half the dang webpages out there
seem to be built for 1600x1280!.

James