*** Anne Wilson Mon, 25 Aug 2003 10:40:00 +0100 :

> On Monday 25 Aug 2003 12:39 am, Carroll Grigsby wrote:
>
> > One of the most interesting things about the recent Microsoft
> > double whammy was that the mass media articles identified them as
> > being exclusively a Microsoft Windows problems that did not affect
> > Linux and Mac users. Better yet, the association of "Microsoft"
> > with "evil" was frequently contained in the headline. As Martha
> > Stewart would say, "And that's a good thing." -- cmg
>
> Well it's a start.  I wish I could say the same for the media here
> (UK).  All I've heard is 'Internet virus' and 'email virus'

With the infamous 'I LOVE YOU' it was like that in Germany. All mass
media told Joe User about the 'Internet Worm', never mentioning that it
only affected certain systems.

It's different now. I watched 2 major news shows which explicitely
stated that the new attacks only affected Microsoft products. One even
featured an 'expert' of a well known computer magazine stating that
users of the (quote) Open Source Operating System Linux (unquote) are
not affected. He closed his statement "At least a minority of computer
users may sleep quiet these days. And tomorrow ask your boss which
system he uses!"

This last sentence was my favourite! I wrote a mail to the expert and
thanked him for this statement.

wobo
--
"... and anyway, html can't carry a virus." (Aug 2001, Usenet)
GnuPG Public Key on http://www.wolf-b.de/misc