quoting Wolfgang Bornath; Monday 25 August 2003 04:21 am:
<whack>
> > Well it's a start.  I wish I could say the same for the media here
> > (UK).  All I've heard is 'Internet virus' and 'email virus'
>
> With the infamous 'I LOVE YOU' it was like that in Germany. All mass
> media told Joe User about the 'Internet Worm', never mentioning that it
> only affected certain systems.
>
> It's different now. I watched 2 major news shows which explicitely
> stated that the new attacks only affected Microsoft products. One even
> featured an 'expert' of a well known computer magazine stating that
> users of the (quote) Open Source Operating System Linux (unquote) are
> not affected. He closed his statement "At least a minority of computer
> users may sleep quiet these days. And tomorrow ask your boss which
> system he uses!"
>
> This last sentence was my favourite! I wrote a mail to the expert and
> thanked him for this statement.
>
> wobo

Howdy;

Another example of a "Tech Journalist" reading the winds of change occurred in
print yesterday. In the Washington Post actually, which I normally don't
read:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A34978-2003Aug23.html

The article is called:

Microsoft Windows: Insecure by Design

 I'm still laughing and the phone is still ringing. People may be gullible and
resistant to change but most are far from stupid and will realize that self
induced pain (dropping an anvil on ones foot, hitting oneself with a hammer,
*running Windows*) is very simply alleviated.

As for those idiots in management at Microsoft and SCO (Canopy); as well as
the "Industry Analysts" that think Darl McBride is a wit (they're half right)
their feet must be in a horrible mess.

>From all of the well placed shots. ;-)

Regards;
Charlie
--
Edmonton,AB,Canada Registered user 244963 at http://counter.li.org

Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife - chopping off what's
incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."
                -- Muad'dib, "Dune"