On Sunday 31 August 2003 09:38 pm, Greg Meyer wrote:
> On Monday 01 September 2003 12:09 am, lorne wrote:
> > On Sunday 24 August 2003 10:07 pm, lorne wrote:
> > > I've done some searching and haven't found any previous traffic on this
> > > exactly. I have two problems. I'm beginning to think they may be
> > > related:
> > >
> > > Copying files from my XP system to my 9.1 samba server is HORRIBLE! Say
>
> I'm
>
> > > copying 650mb of Wav files. We're talking an hour or so! Looking at the
> > > traces, everything seems ok. We're moving it along at 1514 chunks.
> >
> > Well since no one has taken me on, I'm going to reply to myself. :) I
> > have found a potential clue. I just did a samba mount to my xp box from
> > the linux box. Transfers FLY! I can transfer 650MB in 2 minutes flat.
> > Take that same bunch of files from Xp to linux via samba and it will take
> > ?? I stopped timing after 20 minutes. ???
> >
> > Anybody have any clues? I did find something about disabling a web
> > service, but it made no difference. At least I have a work around for
> > now.
>
> IIRC, there are some registry settings in XP that affect this.  MS, in an
> effort to break Samba I'm sure, introduced some registry settings which
> check for things like remote task execution and stuff on the remote server,
> assuming it is a windows machine.  I do not recall where specifically I
> found the info, and I recall a thread about similar problems on win2k not
> to long ago somewhere.  Not sure if it was on this list though.  With these
> additional clues though, you probably could come up with something on
> Google.

Damnit! I KNEW IT! I have been telling the suckers at work now for a couple of
months "I bet you anything Uncle Billie and his gang of thieves, has done
something to purposely break it"!! They all were saying nah.... I KNEW IT!
I'll go look again. There has GOT to be a way to turn off what ever it is
that XP is looking for. Unfortunately it isn't something obvious. I did a
trace and it just doesn't jump out at me. It must be something in XP itself.
Maybe I need to try a regmon or filemon on the xp box to see what it is doing
internally. First I believe I'm going to google again and see if I find
something that works. If so, I'll post here.