On Monday 01 September 2003 03:48 pm, Brant Fitzsimmons wrote:
> Greg Meyer wrote:
> >On Monday 01 September 2003 03:13 pm, Brant Fitzsimmons wrote:
> >>I was the one who asked the question about slow transfers using Samba.
> >>I asked on this list and on the newbie list.  Still have not received
> >>any answers resolving the issue.
> >>
> >>When a transfer to or from a Samba box is initiated from a Win2000 box
> >>it flies.  When the same transfer is initiated from a Samba box to
> >>either another Samba box, or to a Win2000 box, it crawls at around 1/3
> >>the speed of the Win2000 initiated transfer.  Is this expected behavior?
> >
> >I think the op of this thread had the slowness going the other way.  Samba
> > to XP is fast, while XP to samba is fast.  In any case, it always seems
> > to be a problem with the configuration of the windows machines, not the
> > samba machines.
>
> Windows to Samba was only half of my comment.  An incorrect Windows
> configuration doesn't explain a slow Samba to Samba transfer.

I would agree from smb to smb, but I really don't believe this is an
"incorrect windows configuration" issue. There is a fundamental issue that I
believe Microsoft has done to deliberately break or slow samba. I may be
wrong, but I've not seen a solution yet. I did read somewhere that you now no
longer need netbios resolution for XP to work, but I don't think this is the
problem. If anything that would help without a wins server. ??