On September 1993 plus 3654 days Ronald J. Hall wrote:

> On Tuesday 02 September 2003 11:15 pm, Mark wrote:
>
>> I had thought about that. but then I decided not to do it that way cause
>> I'd end up having to edit and clean up too much. So I chose the try the
>> elegant lazy method. as it turns out when I used "cat" do combine the
>> files all I got was the first page and a wee bit of the last page and that
>> was all. don't know what I did wrong.
>
> Mark, someone else mentioned that they did not think it would work because it
> was a binary format. That could be it. Otherwise the "cat" command would have
> worked.

  I've actually used cat to concatenate binary files (.mpg)
  together...strict standards compliant viewers choke on them, but
  mplayer plays files created this way without much of a problem. The
  real problem isn't that the file is a binary, but that the reader of
  the file doesn't like headers-in-the-middle-of-a-file.

  Vox

--
Think of the Linux community as a niche economy isolated by its beliefs.  Kind
of like the Amish, except that our religion requires us to use _higher_