On Sun, 2003-10-12 at 21:40, Eric Huff wrote:
> > The more honest ones have admitted they can't justify
> > developing for more than IE, given the huge REPORTED market share.
> > With so many people using spoofing, it just makes the market share
> > look even bigger than it is. We can't win for loosing.
>
> That's the silly part: we're not really even asking for development.
>  We just want them to get rid of the rejection of non IE browsers.
> It would mean *less* work and less code if they didn't put it in to
> begin with.
>
> eric

Eric,

   As I see it your battle is not against IE but rather against poor
quality (In light of recent changes) habits.  For years these developers
have been developing (As they say, "I've been a web developer since
1991") I've always had to do separate pages for IE and Netscape (Not
that anyone uses Netscape much anymore.)  / Mozilla.  I don't have time
to code for all of the other minor browsers (Some I've talked to of late
don't even want to "code" for Mozilla.)

  The uphill is against lazy coders.  Resistant to learning and
changing.  Not all are but enough are that it's a struggle.  The second
hurdle is marketing.  Yep, you see they write the specs and the coders
code to that spec.  The spec says you will include code to support IE
and Netscape 4.0 or better.  In order to show that they do this they
include code that excludes other browsers and doesn't really benefit the
ones they include.  In fact much of the work is put into supporting
browsers that if they bothered to read the logs they would find that
they don't get customers using (I've not had a hit from IE older than
5.5 in over a year and no 4.0 hits in over 2.) Yet they are required to
support them.  Since of course that's the standard.  (shock the heck out
of Marketing people, pull up the Orange Book (the DoD standards manual)
all documents pertaining to submission of a bid for DoD contracts must
be in WordPerfect compatible format.  Sun Format will be accepted in
lieu of WordPerfect on a case by case basis.)

   I wish you luck on your quest.  But it might be easier to suck an
elephant through a straw. (Am I getting cynical or what.)  Remember.

When a man tells you he's in Marketing ... remember to speak clearly.
When he tells you he has an MBA, make sure you also speak slowly.

James