On Thu, 2003-10-16 at 13:49, Chuck Stuettgen wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-10-13 at 10:24, Jack Coates wrote:
>
> > you make the fatal assumption that IE supports the standard. It doesn't.
> > Standard code works on IE if it's really really simple, but frequently
> > breaks in ugly ways.
> >
> > Transparent PNGs.
> > PNGs at all (color is off).
> > Advanced CSS features, like flow.
> > Many advanced Javascript form functions.
>
> Especially, on the CSS support.  We have Java based (JSP) system we
> developed to create and issue insurance certificates for commercial
> insurance.
>
> The completed certificate is displayed in two frames. A small horizontal
> frame, containing nothing more that a few navigation buttons and a
> background, over the main window in which the completed certificate is
> rendered in the Adobe Acrobat reader plug-in.
>
> Recently, we started getting complaints from our users that the system
> was very slow and that it would take a minute or more for a certificate
> to be displayed.
>
> During troubleshooting we discovered that it could take up to 5 minutes
> to display the certificate from the time the user clicked the submit
> button if they used IE. However, if they used Netscape 4.78, or later,
> the certificate would be displayed in less than a second.  In most cases
> it was displayed, before the user could even move their hand.
>
> Since we make this web based application available to our customers, it
> was imperative that we find the cause and resolve it.
>
> After several days of troubleshooting and debugging our head Java
> programmer found the problem.
>

> A contract programmer, who is no longer employed, had coded a 6 line
> Cascading Style Sheet for the top frame.
>
> We removed the CSS and recoded to the page. Now it displays in less than
> a second using IE as well as Netscape, Mozilla, Opera. et all..

Chuck,

    I think you've stated better than anyone I've ever heard why it's
important to view a site in

1.  Every browser you can find.

2.  On every box within reach EXCEPT the developers box.

3.  Oer a 56k modem with a crap connection.

This last one doesn't apply as much if you live outside the US and the
3rd world.

James