Shankaracharya Swaroopanand Saraswati also disputes the validity of
the religious title the Shankracharya of Kanchi holds. And note that
the latter has the support of Ammachi and Sri Sri Ravi Shankar, so
go figure...

-------------

After a charge of murder, the Shankracharya of Kanchi has now to
contend with a question on the validity of the religious title he
holds. The aspersion was cast by the Shankyacharya of Dwarka
Shardapeeth, Swami Swaroopanand Saraswati on Thursday in a press
conference in Varanasi.

"Kanchi is not among the four recognised peeths established by the
Adi Sankaracharya. The constant reference by the media to Jayendra
Saraswati as Shankaracharya is an insult to the revered post. He is
simply the priest of a religious sect," Swami Saraswati noted.
There was also criticism for the various self styled Shankracharyas
who were taking up media space to vent their views on the issue.

While describing the arrest as unfortunate he noted that it had
failed to stir the sentiments of Hindus as he had been arrested in a
criminal matter. "The followers of Sanatam dharma are shocked by the
involvement of one of the guardians of our religion in a crime so
heinous."

The swami also poured scorn on the BJP for taking up the issue. "The
party has taken up the issue for vested political interests. It is a
ploy to demonstrate to the masses that the party is sympathetic to
the sentiments of Hindus." He added that those leaders whose images
had been sullied because of their inactivity in the Ram Janmbhoomi
case were now trying to cash in on the issue to redeem their
standing."