> on 3/26/05 1:38 AM, Bob Brigante at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > ***********
> >
> > Think that Bevan has ever slept at the foot of Maharishi's bed? I
> > prefer to think that you are kidding yourself, homey. Except
possibly
> > for a handful of Brahmacharis like Nand Kishore, MMY simply does
have
> > the closeness that he had with Guru Dev, about which he says:
> >
> > "And from there on for me the whole thing was very light and
> > beautiful, no obstacles, clear, everything. Then I was living
around
> > him without even feeling that I was living. It's a very genuine
> > feeling of complete oneness with Guru Dev, just like that. People
who
> > have seen me moving with Guru Dev know I was not as if in this
> > isolated, single body or something. There was something of a
> > universal value."
> >
> What makes you think that sleeping at the foot of the master's bed
is an
> essential criterion of discipleship? Even if it were (which it
isn't) what
> makes you think that Maharishi ever did this? As he told it, he
didn't sleep
> much. He was always working.

I can't remember where I heard this about MMY sleeping at the foot of
Guru Dev's bed -- maybe Paul Mason's book? In any event, what MMY had
to say about his relationship with Guru Dev indicates a level of
closeness (to say the least) that is obviously not involved in MMY's
conduct with Bevan or others -- can you imagine Bevan saying (as MMY
did above) that ""And from there on for me the whole thing was very
light and beautiful, no obstacles, clear, everything. Then I was
living around him without even feeling that I was living. It's a very
genuine
feeling of complete oneness with Guru Dev, just like that. People who
have seen me moving with Guru Dev know I was not as if in this
isolated, single body or something. There was something of a
universal value."

> Maharishi has been very involved in the
> personal lives of some people, telling them what to wear, buying
jewelry for
> the ladies - I have no doubt that Tony Nader's plastic surgery was
M's idea.

You have no doubt, because it suits your agenda, but movement
leaders, from Charlie Lutes in 1958 on, have always ended up doing
what they wanted to do, regardless of any advice from MMY. If the
John Grays and Chopras and Larry Domashes really regarded MMY as
their Guru in the way that MMY did with Guru Dev, they would not have
left.

> A few years ago Mike Tompkins wanted to marry Jeannie Costello.
Maharishi
> said to him, "What can I offer you to dissuade you from doing
this?" Now
> Mike is in Uttar Kashi and Jeannie appears very happy with a
boyfriend here
> in Fairfield.

So what? Mike asked MMY's advice, he got it (and what would you
expect a celibate monk to say? -- of course, MMY would say to not
waste your life in the child's play of marriage, but gain
enlightenment) and decided to follow it.

>Of course, I don't consider such personal involvement to be a
> necessary criterion of a Master-disciple relationship either. But
the
> difference between most TMers, such is yourself, and someone like
Bevan, is
> that you can only imagine what M says or does in his close
relationships,
> whereas Bevan has had such a relationship most of his life.

Bevan has had _a_ relationship with MMY, but it is so obviously not
the intensely close relationship that MMY had with Guru Dev that you
simply can't be serious if you are claiming that it is.

>Throughout many
> years they have talked almost every day, with Maharishi giving
detailed
> instructions on Bevan's administrative activities.

I talk with the same people every day, and get instructions on my
activities from my work supervisor, but this does not constitute a
guru-disciple relationship, and neither does Bevan or others vis-a-
vis MMY.