--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "mainstream20016"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Curtis, this is addressed to you and I'm sure you will respond,
but.....may I ?
> Trinity3, why would you doubt that he doesn't feel independent of
unconscious processes,
> and that he uses them (uncoscious processes) for his art ?  It seems
that Curtis is fully one
> with the creative expressions from their inception, through their
expression through his
> art, in his case blues music performance.  The concept of control of
the process was
> introduced by your question, and isn't what he asserts.   He seems
to be a fully
> enlightened artist, at one with the first creative impulse, through
its relative expression of
> his own voice, guitar, and physical expression.  Expanding the range
of awareness of the
> conscious mind to percieve the first impulses of creativity is what
FFLers have been doing
> naturally for a very long time.
> -Mainstream

Mainstream, maybe I am doing injustice to Curtis, I am certainly not
doubting his creative process. Its simply my understanding of atheism
as a philosophy of life. Religion, any religion certainly questions
the independence of our mind /ego (while I am aware that Christianity
makes it a special point that God gave man freedom of decision - not
my belief) and makes it dependent on another entity, atheism asserts
us that we alone are in control of our lives. At least thats what I
have understood it to mean until now. Of course, everyone is aware of
'limitations' we all have,imposed to us by nature. But there is a
fundamental belief that we are ourself in charge of what we believe
in, that we with our mind can logically understand life and should
reject irrationality. In fact religion is seen as 'irrational' by
atheists, which implies that they believe in a rational understanding
of life. IOW they regard ratio higher than feelings or experiences (as
Curtis is never tired to point out that he regards the same mystical
experiences many of us share in a different way and strips  them of
any religious meaning they could have.) In fact he tries to understand
them rationally only, as I believe. Thus he places ratio highest, and
I always understood this to mean a place where intellect is 'in control'