--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "do.rflex" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "BillyG." <wgm4u@> wrote:
> > >
> > > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend" <jstein@>
wrote:
> > <snip>
> > > However, to rule out the word effort entirely would be a mistake
> > > as well IMO, it has commonly been referred to as an *effortless
> > > effort* which would be accurate.
> >
> > This is MMY's phrase, and it would be important to
> > have the full context in which he uses it. It isn't
> > clear to me that "effortless effort" means "just a
> > little effort," nor is that my experience of TM. I
> > suspect he had something else in mind.
>
> So do I. I've seen the phrase repeated here many times but never
> accompanied by any full context. As a TM teacher trained by
> Maharishi in 1970, I never heard him use the words "effortless
> effort" and I would like to see the exact full context he is
> claimed to have used it in.

My guess: He was using the phrase either with regard
to a specific situation (as I suggested in reference
to BillyG's citation of "favor the mantra"), or he was
using it in response to a question from someone who
had gotten all tied up in analyzing the semantics of
instruction, to get them to stop analyzing by giving
them a phrase that couldn't be parsed.

As I said to BillyG, semantics is important in TM
instruction; but it's useful only up to a point.

Ultimately, analysis reveals only where analysis has
to stop.

> But it's refreshing to see BillyG's reminder of the important
> and critical specific difference in Maharishi's TM intsruction
> compared to 'any' other meditation instruction.

Yup.