<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > This model is designed to make people feel stupid
> > if they're still lacking the realization, as if
> > there were something wrong with them for not
> > having it--e.g., "what should have been obvious,"
> > "IGNORANT of what's been right in his face since
> > the day he was born."
> >
> > It's the very worst kind of elitism, playing with
> > words to exalt oneself and denigrate others.
>
> When the movement came out with its "mistake of the intellect"
> phrase it kinda struck me this same way.  Unfortunate choice of
> words IMO.

The difference is that if it's "the mistake of
the intellect" it's somebody ELSE's fault. It's
like the people who believe in it are whining,
"It's the universe's fault, or God's fault, or
the laws of nature's fault, or somebody's...it's
certainly not MINE."

In the "it's somebody/something ELSE's fault that
I'm not enlightened" model, there is something
*outside* of one's self to blame it on. And there
is something *outside* of one's self that "prevents"
you from realizing your enlightenment. You don't
have to take any responsibility for not being
enlightened, and you can't really do all that much
to change the situation, because it's controlled
by that mysterious something "outside" of one's
self.

In the "always already enlightened" model, the fact
that you don't perceive yourself to be enlightened
is always *your* fault. You just haven't made that
choice. BUT, at any moment you *could* make that
choice, and change things, and realize what has
always already been present.

Me, I like the "always already enlightened" model
and find the "not enlightened and its somebody/
something ELSE's fault" model insulting. Others
obviously swing the other way. Go figure.