> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "ruthsimplicity"
> <ruthsimplicity@> wrote:
> >

> > The DSM-IV elements of narcissistic PD are at least five of the
> > following:
> >     1. has a grandiose sense of self-importance
> >     2. is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power,
> > brilliance, beauty, or ideal love
> >     3. believes that he or she is "special" and unique
> >     4. requires excessive admiration
> >     5. has a sense of entitlement
> >     6. is interpersonally exploitative
> >     7. lacks empathy
> >     8. is often envious of others or believes others are envious
> > of him or her
> >     9. shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitudes
>
> Exactly. Thanks for posting this, Ruth.
>
> I think that people (if you consider Judy 'people')
> are reacting to the term 'Disorder.'

Basically, that's true. It's dicey to try to
pin a "disorder" label on people who are highly
unusual.

 It's a descrip-
> tion of a known set of behaviors and beliefs, grouped
> into a convenient category for describing a certain
> type of human being.

Note that the "certain type of human being" is
that of people who entered therapy because they
were having problems coping with ordinary life.

Moreover, the DSM-IV criteria for various
disorders were determined on the basis of the
diagnoses of many therapy patients over time,
rather than the reverse. The criteria don't
exist in a vacuum; they aren't sets of rules
for diagnosing patients that have always
existed.

With regard to narcissistic personality
disorder, for example, this is the appropriate
statement: Of those people who have entered
therapy and been diagnosed with the disorder at
the time of the publication of DSM-IV (or for
however many editions of DSM these criteria have
been listed), most have shown at least five of
the listed characteristics.

That does *not* mean that everyone who shows
at least five of the characteristics has
narcissistic personality disorder, especially
if they have never felt the need to seek
therapy, and *especially* on the basis of the
judgment of nonprofessionals.

It *does* mean that if a professional
determines that a patient in therapy has at
least five of the characteristics, a diagnosis
of narcissistic personality disorder should be
considered.

For people who have never sought therapy, and in
the judgment of nonprofessionals, it's no more
than idle speculation.

And as Ruth points out:

> > Now of course, just because you believe you are special,
> > doesn't mean you aren't special.
>
> Exactly again. The people who think like this *might*
> be right. It's just that most of the time they aren't.

Aren't "right"? Barry knows The Truth about who
is special and who isn't?? When he just got done
saying:

"10. has difficulty knowing the difference between 'this
is the truth' and 'this is how I see it.'

"To me, that's probably THE most defining aspect
of narcissism -- the *assumption* that how one
sees things *equals* how things really are."

Amazing.