> Don't forget Jennifer's comment, that Maharishi often derided the
Westerners
> as "gullible fools" for believing all the things he told them.

That comment lends itself to the narcissistic personality disorder
theory of Maharishi.  It would be a characteristic of this type of
person to have contempt for his followers and enjoy toying with them
to see how far he could push them.  I think it shows up in some rock
stars and movie star types who live lives surrounded by sycophants.