> On Feb 17, 2008, at 7:56 AM, hugheshugo wrote:
>
> > They have plans for roadside cameras to log every car that drives
> > past, face recognition software so they can automatically track
> > whoever they want wherever they want. The Stasi would have loved
> > technology like that. I think that could be the problem, a lot of
> > this only happens because the technology has been invented and
> > someone in the government thinks it will save time and money to
use
> > cameras rather than actual policemen and then it gets used to
monitor
> > just for the sheer control-freakness of it.
>
> What *is* the purpose of all this, hugo?  It seems that if there
is
> so much info out there, it becomes almost useless because how can
> anyone sift through so much?  I don't understand what it's
supposed
> to accomplish.
>
> Sal

I think the plan is it will make taxing motorists easier because they
could charge by the mile and thus persuade people not to drive so
much. It's part of the new "the polluter pays" legislation coming in.

Being able to monitor anyone you like is a handy extra but a worrying
one. Sometimes I think they like to do these things because they can,
not because it's a good idea.

Luckily the government has a crap record on large computer projects
meaning it's likely to remain a dream for the forseeable future.