"Lemme throw this into the mix: Given that we all
are or were practitioners of TM, is it possible
that having recognized the need to distance ourselves
from movement conditioning is a function of
improvement in our cognitive skills as a result of
our TM practice (whether or not we've continued the
practice itself)?"

It could be.  But I just don't see any consistency of this position.
When I was really deeply into the "teaching", I was also really
thoughtful about it, that is what drew me to the philosophy major.  We
had a chance to think about Maharishi's teaching through many POVs.  I
have some sense of my intellectual limits, but my mind has approached
my interests in a similar way since I was a boy.

So I suspect that you always enjoyed running your intellectual engine
on topics of interest and guys like Bevan preferred to learn some
phrases to spout, and then pursue his own power agendas. (judgmental
much?  Oh yeah!)  If the practice actually enhanced this function I
would expect to see more really thoughtful people representing the
movement, and I just don't see any evidence for this.

I'll also add that when I was doing the longest programs, my mental
functions were no better than they are today.  If anything the years
of practicing my thinking has improved things considerably.  That
said, your experience may be quite different.

But this is a very interesting topic for me.  It goes to the heart of
what does meditation improve or add to one's life?  I've been doing my
own research and have drifted back into using my longass mantra. The
old engine just started up on its own.  So I am tying to get a sense
of what mental areas are improved by meditating.  I am enjoying it.