From: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of curtisdeltablues
Sent: Tuesday, February 26, 2008 8:17 PM
To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [FairfieldLife] Re: Witnessing, was: Steve Martin of Wilmington

<snip>

Answer to Rick's post:

Me: > >I think your example illustrates that
> the usefulness of these states is context dependent. In a situation
> like you mentioned, a detached silence is a real asset. But I
believe > that this state is not useful for making love.

Rick: > Our difference is that you regard these states as relative
perspectives, > whereas I regard them as openings to universal
realities. That makes sense, > since you doubt the existence of
subtler realities.

Me: I had to give this some thought. Although I am not sure about
the terms "universal", or "subtler realties", I do recognize the
limits of our senses and cognitive abilities to appreciate the full
range of possible reality. We are guaranteed to be only catching a
slice of life. Both objective reality and the capabilities of our
minds are filled with mystery and untapped potential.

What I am skeptical about is that ancient cultures have already
figured all this out given their religious biases. I believe we need
to add the insights from the ancient texts into the pot of modern
thought and not take any of them as automatically authoritative. It
is a given for me that ancient cultures were as full of nonsense as
wisdom and that we might be in a better position to sort the two out
today.

I agree with most everything you wrote. And the above paragraph encapsulates
it. Andrew Cohen talks a lot about breaking fresh ground – respecting the
ancient cultures but not regarding them as utopias to which we must return…
taking the best they have to offer and blending it with modern
understandings. Sorry I can’t come up with an adequate response just now.
I’m getting sleepy and have been up since before 5 this morning. Gotta turn
it.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
7:50 PM