> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "sparaig" <LEnglish5@> wrote:
> <snip>
> > If it WAS in common use, they couldn't have made it a trademark
>
> BTW, Transcendental Meditation couldn't be
> trademarked in the U.K. and several other
> countries precisely *because* it was
> considered to be too common a phrase.
> (Not an *everyday* phrase, certainly, but
> common enough, presumably in spiritual
> circles.)

Well, actually, you're wrong. The Oxford English Dictionary (thanks to my
urging) changed
its dictionary definition of the term to note that it is trademarked in the US,
at least. I
know that some countries have different trademark rules, but it is NOT, as far
as I know,
due to "transcendental meditation" being "too common" that it can't be
trademarked in
those countries.

Lawson