> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend" <jstein@>
wrote:

> > > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "sparaig" <LEnglish5@>
wrote:
> > > <snip>
> > >
> > > BTW, Transcendental Meditation couldn't be
> > > trademarked in the U.K. and several other
> > > countries precisely *because* it was
> > > considered to be too common a phrase.
> > > (Not an *everyday* phrase, certainly, but
> > > common enough, presumably in spiritual
> > > circles.)
> >
> > P.S.: I'm not suggesting that what the non-MMY
> > term referred was the same as TM. And come to
> > think of it, it isn't impossible that he stuck
> > in "deep" at first to distinguish what he was
> > teaching from whatever else was being taught or
> > referred to as transcendental meditation.
>
> Again, it was NOT a common phrase with or without deep
> before MMY started using it.

Not an *everyday* term, as I said, but in use in
spiritual circles and discourse (without the "deep").

> The UK law precludes the trademarking of words that are simply
descriptions of the
> product  service, but prior to MMY, "transcendental meditation"
and "transcendental deep
> meditation" were NOT common phrases.
>
> Show me where the Transcendentalists (for example) used
> either phrase.

I don't believe I claimed the Transcendentalists
used it, did I?

I gave you two URLs to sites that use it without any
reference to TM or Maharishi. As I said, to find other
references I'd have to go to a library that carried
older spiritual books to find other uses, but obviously
I'm not going to go to that sort of trouble for such a
silly dispute. If you want to conclude that I'm lying
about having heard many complaints about MMY's
appropriation of the term, fine, believe what you want.