> On Mar 23, 2008, at 4:15 PM, authfriend wrote:
>
> > It was a vague generic term, Sal, that could have
> > referred to many types of meditation, or to a general
> > class of meditation techniques, anything that led one
> > "beyond" everyday life, however one wanted to define
> > it--maybe superficial and silly, maybe complex and
> > very serious, or anything in between.
> >
> > I'm suggesting MMY stuck in "deep" because he wanted
> > to make what he called his meditation technique specific
> > and to differentiate it from whatever anybody else had
> > in mind when they used the general term "transcendental
> > meditation."
> >
> > This really isn't rocket science.
>
> OK, Judy.  I don't personally remember encountering the term
> before TM, but it's possible I did and just don't remember.  I
> definitely don't remember "transcendental deep meditation"
> (whew, what a mouthful) at all.

I think that's what he uses in both SBAL and his Gita
translation/commentary, actually.

> Spare makes an interesting point about not being able to find
> any written references pre-MMY, though.

You wouldn't be likely to find something that early
on the Web. I did find material from the Hare Krishnas'
guru that used it for his technique. The page wasn't
dated, but the guru was of about the same vintage as
MMY.