> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "sparaig" <LEnglish5@> wrote:
> >
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend" <jstein@>
wrote:

> > > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "sparaig" <LEnglish5@>
> wrote:
> > > <snip>
> > >
> > > BTW, Transcendental Meditation couldn't be
> > > trademarked in the U.K. and several other
> > > countries precisely *because* it was
> > > considered to be too common a phrase.
> > > (Not an *everyday* phrase, certainly, but
> > > common enough, presumably in spiritual
> > > circles.)
> >
> > Well, actually, you're wrong. The Oxford English Dictionary
> > (thanks to my urging) changed its dictionary definition of
> > the term to note that it is trademarked in the US, at least.
> > I know that some countries have different trademark rules,
> > but it is NOT, as far as I know, due to "transcendental
> > meditation" being "too common" that it can't be trademarked
> > in those countries.
>
> You'll need to show exactly why it can't be in
> each country, then.

But even if you can come up with their reasons for
not trademarking it, it *still* is the case that it
was a common enough term that people complained
about MMY appropriating it--and hence my point to
Barry stands.

In any event, there are zillions of other examples
of a term meaning something generic when it's lower-
cased and something more specific when it's
capitalized--e.g., democratic/Democratic, republican/
Republican.

Barry thought he was being real cute by using
"Transcendental Meditation" as an analogy, but that
doesn't hold water for lots of reasons in addition
to the trademark angle. He got caught lecturing
somebody when he didn't know what he was talking
about, as usual, and then tried using a bogus
analogy to wiggle out of his booboo.