<snip>
> What I think is hilarious is that Judy has now
> pissed away almost all of her posts for the week
> "defending" this idea (that I personally think
> she made up) that "transcendental meditation"
> was a common term at the time Maharishi first
> began using it.

Didn't make it up, have made only 12 posts on the
topic, hardly "almost all of [my] posts for the
week." I think it's an interesting issue, so none
of those posts were "pissed away," as far as I'm
concerned.

I had no idea it would be controversial. I assumed
everyone had heard the same complaints I had.

<snip>
> On the other hand, within a few hours she'll be
> out of our hair for the rest of the week, and
> people will be able to post again without her
> attempting to suck them into arguments.

Barry's delighted that this discussion (which
Lawson "sucked" me into) has taken attention away
from the howling blooper Barry made in dumping on
Janet for using "gnostic" in its original,
generic sense after she'd explained exactly how
she was using it and explictly pointed out that
"Gnostic" (cap G) was the way to refer to the
specific religious system.

Then, when I pointed out his error, instead of just
backing off, which would have ended the whole
discussion, Barry tried to suck *me* into an
argument, compounding his error by drawing a
ludicrously bogus analogy with the phrase
"transcendental meditation." There are a whole
bunch of *other* reasons it's bogus besides the
one I cited.

And, true to form, Barry went on to *triple* his
error by declaring it was ridiculous to claim
lower-casing a term allowed one to redefine it.
The issue was whether *capping* a term allowed one
to redefine it, first; and second, of course,
there are any number of examples of precisely that
taking place, including gnostic/Gnostic. I cited
the Oxford English Dictionary's entry showing its
two different definitions for that term, one for
the original lower case, one for the later
capitalized version.

I listed several other examples, including catholic/
Catholic, and my favorite in his case: know-nothing/
Know-Nothing.

So, having been definitively wiped out on that issue,
naturally Barry is doing his damndest to focus
attention on the side-argument that developed between
Lawson and me over transcendental meditation/
Transcendental Meditation, hoping desperately that
everyone will forget how grossly in error he was.

It really is Essence of Barry.