Ohhh, that explains it.  Thanks, Marek.

It also sheds light on a mating behavior of humans -- the way men
take women out for dinner BEFORE other mating activities, especially
in the early stages of getting acquainted before the woman is lulled
by hormonal attachment.  When spiders get that one figured out, their
evolution will leap forward.