Don't know why this fascinates me, but it does.  Found a source that
says captivity increases hunger and anomalous behavior, and also that
decapitation stimulates copulation.  (That sounds so cold and
clinical -- how about "he starts banging away after his head is
whacked off.")
http://www.jstor.org/pss/1310334

The Snopes version for a quick read:
http://www.snopes.com/critters/wild/mantis1.asp