Hugo wrote:
> No Oscars then ;-)
>
> I had a skim through and it looked like a very literal
> interpretation, and somewhat overcooking the deadness
> of the people of the new world, or maybe that's just
> bad acting.

There was also a 1998 version with Leonard Nimoy which occasionally
plays on TV:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0145600/
Not only that I turned the Flash video into a DVD and watched it on my
HD set so it was a little like watching it with Vaseline smeared on my
glasses.

No, neither version would win any Oscars.  :)   I also have the old
1950's BBC production of "1984" which in some ways is more true to the
book than the one done in the 1980's with John Hurt and Richard Burton.