--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Richard J. Williams"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> satvadude wrote:
> > I would enjoy hearing your thoughts on the
> > matter Richard. Any reaction to the story?
> >
> It all depends on the definition of 'cult'.
>
> The term 'cult' is just another term for 'sect'.
> There are at least eight dictionary definitions
> of the term 'cult'.

I always use Chambers:

http://tinyurl.com/3gb8wz

Do any other definitions exclude groups like
scientology or the TMO? I'd be surprised if they did,
you could probably fit most New Religious Movements
into the definition above.

> Apparently, the United States does not have a
> classification for cults in its legal system.
>
> From what I've read, no one has as yet been
> able to define 'cult' in any meaningful way.

> However, it should be pointed out that the
> idea of 'brainwashing' or 'mind control,
> vis a vis, 'cults' has almost been totally
> discredited.

Manchurian candidate styule brain-washing yes,
but general group conformity can make a True Believer
out of most. People like to fit in and they sooner they
pick up the lingo the better. I heard many people say
they cringed at using terms like Nature Support when
they first moved into academies but they soon got the
hang of it. The more isloated you are from old friends
and "normal" society the quicker it will happen.

If I was classifying NRMs I would put the TMO down as
cult-lite: crazy but happy, though rather expensive.