New.M, what a fine place and time to grow up in, what a great time
that must have been.  Bolinas is such a perfect haven, but I never
visited it until I was an adult. What a totally great place it must
have been to bang around in as a teenager -- and surf kayaking --
man, that sounds like heaven.

You grew up in Marin but now live in the Sierras, is that right?  I
remember you mentioning being above 8000 feet once and that's where
I've pictured you since.  The Sierras' backside, along 395 became my
favorite after the first time I drove down to Death Valley; it's one
of the alltime, most picturesque highways I've driven.

Do you still mess around in boats of some sort or another?

Marek

**

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, new.morning <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> <curtisdeltablues@> wrote:
> >
> > That boat looks great Marek!  "Light" is such an important
feature in
> > a kayak because so many cool places to kayak that don't have
> > convenient boat put-in points.  You carry the boat on one side
of your
> > body so it really matters IMO.  Hard shell boats really move
faster in
> > the water then mine does.
>
> Thats what I was wondering -- if new inflatables have the rigidity
> slice thru water like a hardshell.
>
> My experience is with hard shells. In the mid 60s, in high school,
> group of five of us or so made kyacks with fiberglass -- and from a
> mold that one of the guys acquired. Really a fairly straight
forward
> days work to produce a reasonable professional boat (at least for
that
> era). We originally did rivers (and big creeks) -- but living just
> over the hill from the Pacific,we started surf kyacking. The first
on
> the california coast -- that was our story and we are sticking with
> it. At least the first in the Bolinas / Stinson / Drakes coastal
areas
> of Marin.
>
> With river boats we pearled badly. But still that was soooo cool.
Nose

<reavismarek@>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > Hey, Curtis, I looked up "dealers" on the site and one of the
> > > outdoor stores here in Eureka carries the line but all they
had was
> > > one of the canoes from the company and not the advanced frame
like
> > > you have.  Although I've been planning to build one of the
Pygmy
> > > Boats kayaks "someday" it requires a garage which I don't have
so
> > > I've been also checking out the different boats whenever I go
to one
> > > of the outdoor stores (of which we have many here in Humboldt).
> > >
> > > So yesterday, when I went to check out the inflatable from the
> > > company that makes yours I saw this little item that caught my
eye,

> > > http://www.hurricaneaquasports.com/santee-100.html
> > >
> > > It's a little 10-footer made out of Trylon that I could throw
in the
> > > back of my small pickup and drop into the bay after work.
It's not
> > > as sweet looking as the Pygmy kayak but it's as light as yours
and
> > > small enough to stash behind the house and when I can't go
surfing I
> > > can still be on the water.  And as Rat says in Wind In The
> > > Willows, "There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much
worth
> > > doing as simply messing about in boats."  Well, maybe not
*nothing*,
> > > but I appreciate the sentiment and am seriously thinking of
putting
> > > my Economic Stimulus check where my mouth is.
> > >
> > > **
> > >
> > > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "curtisdeltablues"

> > > but
> > > of