> shempmcgurk wrote:
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Bhairitu <noozguru@> wrote:
> >
> >> If you live in New York or Los Angeles.  Unfortunately John
> >>
> > Cusack's
> >
> >> "War, Inc." is opening this weekend in only two theaters.  The
> >>
> > Angelica
> >
> >> in New York and the Landmark in Los Angeles.  It is a hilarious
> >>
> > satire
> >
> >> on corporatism and war with Cusack and Dan Ackroyd playing a
Dick

> > Cheney
> >
> >> like character.  Cusack was interview on Thom Hartmann's show
this
> >> morning in the second hour and said he has fought an uphill
battle

> >> get it in theaters.  Seems out "liberal" Hollywood has fallen in
> >>
> > line
> >
> >> with the fascists even telling him the war is still going on and
> >>
> > the
> >
> >> film inappropriate.
> >>

> > Perhaps it has more to do with the fact that anti-Iraq war films
> > simply don't do very well at the box office since the beginning
of
> > the Gulf War.
> >
> > Can you name one anti-war film that's done well?  "Redacted"?
> >
> > And I don't think the reason is that the movie-going public is
PRO
> > Iraq War; it's more a factor of fatigue.
> >
> Same thing happened during WWII.  "Flags of Our Fathers" covers the
> subject as did Ken Burns in his documentary.  People are tired of
> hearing about the war and just wish Bush, his fascist regime and
war
> would go away (many Germans felt the same about Hitler and his
regime
> too).  The movie and record industry turned protest into a new
genre
> during the Vietnam war but then most of them weren't owned by the
> military industrial complex back then.
>
> "Idiocracy" was shelved by Fox and finally released on DVD a good
two years after it was finished.  It has become a cult hit.  It is
not about war but the dumbing down of society.

The first 10 minutes of "Idiocracy" -- in which they explain the
genetical evolution of how idiocy came to characterize future
American society -- is brilliant.  And it is brilliant because the
theme of the movie may actually have hit upon something that will
actually happen!

I simply didn't enjoy the rest of the movie, however.  Too contrived,
too overacted, which is a trap that is easy to fall in when you are
playing idiots.

But back to the theme of "Idiocracy" for a minute.  I was thinking
about it the other day when I was watching a news show on the new
Russia in which it was claimed that the vast majority of Russians
were very happy with Putin and the regime he has set up, despite the
return to stifling of free speech, free press, and essentially
support for the oligarchies.  I thought: well, could it be that
Stalin, by killing millions of his own enemies and perceived enemies,
removed from the Russian gene pool much of the courage gene?  Is that
why the people are so complacent about what befalls them?

If I understood "Idiocracy" correctly, it directly has to do with
breeding, over generations, stupidity.  Well, we're talking genetics
here and if that is possible (I know, I know; it's just a movie!)
then it would also be possible to "breed out" positive
characteristics as well, no?

> There are a number of films that have done well and have anti-war
themes in them.  I haven't seen "Iron Man" but what I've read the
theme was anti-war.  "Lord of War" is another film that did okay at
the box office and has been popular on DVD.

> Cusack in his interview the other morning said it was clearly the
executives who didn't want this film in theaters.  It would probably
do well at the box office and will do well on DVD.