--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, satvadude108 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Thank you for posting that Curtis. I am an infrequent visitor here,
> an even less frequent poster, and have never met you or Sal.
> Your posts often remind me why I come to this forum and spend
> a few moments of my time. Thanks. Sal's comment was so
> funny, to me, that tears momentarily ran down my cheeks.
>
> The kaleidoscopic perspectives displayed here in FFL would
> be not as interesting to navigate without the humor.

They would be unbearable without the humor.

Well, wouldn't they? :-)

Thank *you* for your post. We need one of
these from time to time, to remind us why
we're still hangin' out here in this corner
bar in cyberspace.

> The
> judgements we all make regarding authenticity here are
> often tenuous.

tenuous. Having little substance or strength :
flimsy, weak.

I will officially go on record as suspecting
that my posts are even more tenuous than that. :-)

> As TurquoiseB often points out, many here
> are so strongly attached to their POV that anger and
> defensiveness often instantly bubbles up when that POV
> is questioned.

And as TurquoiseB would point out about himself,
I can say that because I've had my POV blown out
of its socks so many times that the socks have a
hard time staying on these days. This is not
necessarily a good thing, but I'm stuck with it.

There are definitely a few issues that still push
my buttons, but fortunately not for very long. If
the button-pushed-ness isn't gone before the next
post, it's probably time to get medieval on its
ass with a little mindfulness.

> Politics and TM seem to be the most common
> triggers.

Occasionally other spiritual trips, too. But yeah,
politics and religion seem to be the big ones. I
find it fascinating that on FFL often the posters
who are a bit...uh...fundamentalist about one tend
to also be fundamentalist about the other. And,
blessedly, those who are more laissez faire with
one tend to be the same way with the other.

Is laissez faire a good thing? Some would say not,
that you need to be passionately involved with
either. I don't know. I'm hoping that there is
some truth in the idea of caring very passionately
indeed for one's hopes, dreams, and aspirations,
but trying not to be attached to the outcome.

> I humbly commend you for equanimity and genuine
> attempts at dialogue.

I'm in fuckin' awe of Curtis. I've learned so much
from him. (Yeah, I know that little of that shows
in my posts, but I'll get there some day. Or not.)
The word really *is* equanimity. I think that the
Buddha would be in awe of Curtis. Dude had a short
fuse, from what I hear.

> I also humbly commend you for calling
> bullshit when you detect it. Thanks.

Thanks from me as well, Curtis.

And you most often do it in a calling-bullshit-
among-friends way, which is even more awe-some.
There's a way of calling bullshit that is tact-
less and in your face and designed to push
buttons. (For example, far too many of my posts.)
And then there's a way of calling bullshit that
doesn't distance yourself from or demean the
bullshitter, only the bullshit. Curtis rules
at that.

And the humor is a big part of it. If you can
react to something that pushes your buttons by
finding a way to laugh at it, and possibly share
that laughter, well, to paraphrase Blade Runner,
"You've done a man's work, sir."

> You often do it in a
> manner that reflects qualities I hold in high stead and with
> skill I envy.

Hear, hear!

> Keep on keepin' on dude. Your music is excellent.

I'll second that.