--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, ruthsimplicity <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> curtisdeltablues@ wrote:
> >
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Richard J. Williams"
> > <willytex@> wrote:

  As if you knew you were spending karma points. In my mind
> there is really no ethics in this because we only know the life we
> have now.
>
> Christianity does the  same thing with heaven and hell.  No reward
> now?  You'll get it in heaven.  No punishment now, he'll get his in
hell.

> Both are ways to explain away the difficult problem that life is not
> fair.

This problem of using magical karma as an explanation of justice is
reducible to 2 situations.

1.  Humans place in nature.  As beings evolved in a codependent web of
life on this planet our actions have consequences to the environment as
a whole.  Evolution skews our relationship with the planet so that we
fit in like a perfect puzzle piece.  Any behavior that resists this cozy
relationship is going to rock the boat.  This natural justice can be
labeled karma.

2.  Humans place among fellow humans.  Historically this domain has been
the realm of theistic laws that governed human behavior.
Pre-enlightenment societies depended on folktales to create ethical
standards.   Fortunately we have had a movement since the ancient Greeks
that recognized that human laws are best designed by human societies.
We are fortunate to live in a society that recognizes human rights and
justice as moving forms best designed by fluid governing bodies.  The
ancient concept of karma has no place in this world of secular ethics.
People have a duty to be involved in the shaping of ethical standards
and recognize their place in a free society.

s.