On Jul 18, 2008, at 7:35 PM, bhairitu wrote:

Always one to get new toys to play with, I'm typing this from the
latest addition to my computer family: an ASUS Eee PC 2G Surf running
Linux.  The keyboard is going to take a little getting used to as this
unit is small with a 7" screen and small keyboard. It has built-in
wifi and will be handy around the house instead of one of my Windows
based laptop because this one boots up in about 30 seconds.  It will
also be great for traveling.
http://eeepc.asus.com/global/

I'm a great new toy lover too, but never really particularly liked cell phones or PDA's. Give me desktop rather than some tiny-screened toy.

Then I got an iPod Touch for my wife, who wanted something to get on the net for her day-to-day travels. Incredible device, but without a nearby hotspot, not always easy to get high speed access when you want. So, we returned the Touch and after all the brouhaha settled down on iPhone 3g launch day, ordered one from the AT&T store late on the 11th. It arrived this weekend.

This has to be the most useful PDA/Cell phone device ever created. With the new inclusion of Apple-screened applications, there's simply nothing remotely like it outside of science fiction. Press the button for "Maps" and the built-in GPS shows your location on satellite. The inclusion of 3rd party apps greatly extends it's usability. Everything from Astronomy applications which tell me a stars name merely by pointing at it in the sky to voice recognition programs that transcribe what I speak and then email me the text. Computer games that rely on the tilt of device rather than having to punch some controls constantly with your thumbs. It remote controls my entire music library with a mere touch and streams it to my home stereo. And on and on. It's the closest thing to Star Trek ever invented. If you don't mind spending 70 bucks a month for cell phone and your data plan, this device rocks. If you don't need the cell coverage and can rely on hotspots or a home wireless network, you can make phone calls with Skype or some similar device and pay $O in cell coverage by purchasing an iPod Touch. Either way both include inexpensive and many free third party applications which provide an amazing amount of extensibility.

The only thing missing is the ability to beam oneself into space :-). Highly recommended device if you don't mind spending some money for the cell plan or several hundred for an iPod Touch.