On Jul 21, 2008, at 2:44 PM, Bhairitu wrote:

> Vaj wrote:
>>
>> On Jul 21, 2008, at 12:44 PM, Bhairitu wrote:
>>
>>> According to a PDA developer's group I hang out on the ones that are
>>> offering apps via the iPhone Apple store are running into a snag
>>> that
>>> show Apple didn't think things out too well.  Apple doesn't
>>> provide the
>>> user list to the developer until they get paid 45 days later in the
>>> meantime they don't know whether they support emails they get are
>>> really
>>> from people who purchased their product or not.   Also it is next to
>>> impossible for the developers to provide bug fixes on this
>>> platform.  Of
>>> course just like the MP3 player which Apple did not invent neither
>>> did
>>> it invent pocket computers, those have been around for over a
>>> decade so
>>> to use such hype in their ads is a little misleading.  And by the
>>> way
>>> how do you type in a URL on the iPhone?   Do you get a full
>>> keyboard on
>>> the screen or the slow way you do it on a phone.
>>
>> You just tap on the address field and a multi-touch keyboard appears
>> on the screen. It actually learns typing errors on the fly and
>> corrects them. After just a couple of weeks, I'm getting pretty good
>> at it. It wouldn't work good for people with long fingernails.
> Palm and Pocket PC had pop-up keyboards and character recognition for
> written text.

Perhaps they have an implementation of it, but I seriously doubt I'd
be interested in using it. I didn't realize there were other multi-
touch keyboards out there already. As far as I am aware the pioneer in
character recognition was the good ole Apple Newton--purchased from
Russian developers many years ago.

>> I'm pretty happy with the apps I've downloaded. For example one
>> called
>> Shazam, which I'd never heard of this possibility before, will
>> "listen" to any song playing and identify it for you. So when I hear
>> an odd song on the radio, classical, rock, a song in a movie, it
>> doesn't matter, you just hold up the iPhone to the sound source and
>> it
>> tells you the song, the album it came off of and shows the album art.
>> It also looks up any related videos on YouTube! Like many apps there,
>> it's free.
> I think Shazam has been around for awhile on other platforms.
>>
>> I have yet to try video rentals on the thing, but I do like the idea
>> of renting videos before a vacation and just watching them when you
>> want, where you want on the phone or connected to a TV.
> I've been doing that for several years.... on other devices.
> Nothing new.

So have I, but from DVD's onto an iPod, but not exactly legal.

>> It's a brand new platform, so I'm sure there will be a few snags, but
>> so far it's been a great experience as a user. In fact it's one of
>> the
>> most positive user experiences I've had with any product. If there's
>> some things that aren't worked out very well, I have yet to come
>> across them.

> The platform is a  year old or more.  Apple won't listen to
> experienced
> people because they have a "not invented here" attitude (I used to
> deal
> with time in my corporate position).   They picked up that both the
> Palm
> and Pocket PC phones as well as a few other platform allowed third
> party
> developers make products available.   Both the Palm and Pocket PC were
> in a race for early dominance of the market.  The Palm was made by a
> bunch of expat Newton developers which was another device that Apple
> didn't get right.   You can still run Palm apps even old ones on
> most of
> their phones and Pocket PC apps run on a lot of phones.

The Newton was just too ahead of it's time. Oh, and there's that
Sculley guy. :-)

The SDK for the iPhone was just released 4 months ago.

> There has been this fascist attitude that some corporations like AT&T
> got into that only "big companies" should be able to make software.
> That was an ill thought out attitude because "big companies" are not
> going to make niche products that sell in small quantities.  So I can
> applaud Apple for opening up the platform but they have a competitor
> namely Google on an agenda to make a "phone safe" platform that any
> developer can create products for.  The developer's kit for the iPhone
> is only $99 (again I applaud) but then you also have to have a Mac
> running Leopard.  For some small developers that's still a bit of an
> investment and risk.  Small niche programs won't get the testing
> needed
> and there will need to be updates for bugs.  At least they include an
> iPhone simulator so you don't need an iPhone to develop.  My great
> niece
> (who is a little overly spoiled like most kids these days) got the new
> iPhone too and was talking about it last night.
>
> Enjoy your new toy.  BTW, who makes Apple's motherboards?  ;-)

I have no idea, not much into repairing them (I've actually never had
to repair any Apple item I owned!). It seems the current philosophy is
to be able to get market standard materials. It looks like they're
Samsung from a quick gander on the web.