Interesting article here:

http://mysterytopia.com/2008/07/meditate-on-it.html

It doesn't really explain how mantras came to be
so powerful, if indeed they are actually different
from any other randomly chosen sound.

It was always the way my mantra affected me that
made me wonder how my mind could have come pre-
adapted for transcendence. If you accept the facts
of Darwinism then you accept that we evolved a
transcendence response. Interesting idea that it
evolved with us as us trying to do something else
and must have done or who would have kept on with
it.

I think we are pre-adapted in that our brains
are so complex things or tehcniques, even drugs,
knock us off centre and because we have such a
clever illusion creator in our heads that disrupting
it can give us a glimpse of what we call heaven
for no other reason than it is so pleasant.

So it's either a big fluke or there is cosmic
significance in how we seem to be born capable
of experiencing what is, for us, a "holy" state
of mind. Maybe mantras have been in use so long
we've evolved a sympathetic response to them.
But that surely would take us way from india where
the traditions are strongest. Sanskrit isn't the
earliest language I think.

Does anyone know what the earliest known mantra
technique is? Difficult to know but even the
geographic whereabouts of early spiritual cultures
would be interesting.