> On Oct 16, 2008, at 3:43 PM, curtisdeltablues wrote:
>
> > All it would take is for one creation myth scripture to give an
> > accurate account of the dinosaurs. Having dominated every ecological
> > niche for 250,000,000 years, is that really too much to ask from a
> > creation myth?
>

> There are visible fossils all over the Himalaya since there are huge
> amounts of sedimentary rocks. What is traditionally believed in
> superstitious "Vedic" culture is that these represent souls who have
> incarnated into inferior forms of life and are trapped for huge
> swaths of time into the very rocks themselves. So those aren't
> dinosaurs Curtis, they're poor souls trapped in the rocks. Get with
> it already!
>
> Aren't the Vedas SO scientific! I just know one day I'll wake and
> I'll see the Vedas on the covers of both Nature and Scientific
> American with the caption "How Could We Have Missed It? Ancient Vedas
> are Actually an Advanced Form of Science Based on the Unified Field!"

Be it as it may, I think it's wrong to judge for instance
Rgveda based on a translation, into any language. The deeper
meanings, or stuff, are almost inevitably lost in a translation.

As an example, compare the orginal Vedic of the first
line of Rgveda X 129:

naasad aasiin no (pornounce: naw) sad aasiit tadaaniim

to Macdonell's translation:

There was not the non-existent nor the existent then...