> On Oct 28, 2008, at 11:53 AM, curtisdeltablues wrote:
> >
> > If such a treat had been made
>
> Uh, oh, Curtis, there you go again, doggonnit.  Will
> you please get out of this Halloween mode?  Things
> are scary enough around here as it is.

Interestingly, in France and now in Spain,
Halloween has never really been a big deal,
or celebrated. It's only lately that it's
been merchandized to kids and their parents.

Until only a few years ago, Halloween meant
only its name -- Hallow 'een, or All Hallows
Eve. It's the next day. All Saints Day, that
is celebrated in France and in Spain. It's
a national holiday/fiesta, and people tend
to visit cemetaries to honor the dead. Then
eat. Somehow in Spain all fiestas seem to
lead up to eating. And for some reason I don't
fully understand, the streets are suddenly
full of roasted chestnut vendors. Here's
what I found about it on a website:

This festival revolves around the tradition of remembering
the dead. It is not surprising that we remember the dead in
Autumn, when nature dies little by little and prepares for
winter.

There are many traditions connected with this time of year:
from literary references (D. Juan Tenorio by José Zorilla;
El Estudiante de Salamanca by José de Espronceda...) to
purely gastronomic ones, which brings us to the pleasant
aspect of this time of year in Spain, the celebration of
"La Castañada".

In olden days, "la castañada" was celebrated after the
family evening meal, and brings back memories of the ancient
funeral meals. After the usual family supper chestnuts were
roasted in the open hearth, "panellets" (small, tasty almond
cakes) and other sweet titbits were eaten, and accompanied
by a sweet, white wine. The chestnuts were roasted and placed
on the table where everyone was able to eat their fill.

This custom of eating chestnuts (which is the typical seasonal
fruit together with dried fruits such as almonds, hazel nuts...),
goes hand-in-hand with eating sweet potato el boniato. Together
they lead us on to the appearance of one of the most lively and
important characters at this time: the chestnut seller "la
castañera". Here is Spain many stories are told about "Maria,
la castañera".

I don't personally know any of the
many stories about Maria, but I could
tell you a few about her sister Lupe.