on 6/25/05 9:49 AM, sparaig at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>> It would be interesting to hear others experiences in the area of TM
>> and laxity.
>
> Well, aside from the advice given that people who find themselves sleeping a
> lot during TM
> should sleep more BEFORE TM?
>
> BTW, I go through periods where I sleep a lot during program, and periods
> where I don't
> seem to sleep much. What is your explanation for that other than MMY's, that
> the
> condition of my nervous system is different from time to time?

On the Santa Barbara ATR (winter 71-72) I told M that I fell asleep in most
of my meditations. He said "Some physical weakness. Try to remove the
cause."

On my 6 month course (Courcheval, Spring-Fall 1975) M said that he was going
to try to turn us into yogis in 6 months. Two things he recommended were
cold baths and sitting up without back support in meditation. I think both
of these, especially the latter, were prescriptions to combat laxity. (He
also said we were in a race or a contest to see who could purify the
fastest, and to help us he had us fasting and trying all sorts of healers
brought in from around Europe).

I think the no effort thing is most relevant to grosser levels of
experience, i.e., new meditators. At subtle levels effort also isn't
appropriate, but attentiveness is. The advanced technique where you focus on
the heart area is certainly a form of attentiveness. I also find that some
gentle attentiveness vs. allowing the mind to just mess around makes a big
difference in terms of clarity and frequency of transcending.

At Estes Park, M quoted the Vedas as saying, "Be easy to us with gentle
effort."