> Edg, in my opinion the adherence to the "Gotta
> do the puja" thang comes from many sources. One
> is the overall "Maharishisez" EQUALS "gotta"
> mindset that was drilled into us for so many
> years or decades.
>
> Another is the fact that many teachers really
> *did* feel a "buzz" from doing puja. I never
> felt much of one, but some did, and they assoc-
> iate that buzz with magical thinking and feel
> that something about *their* buzz helped give
> their initiates a buzz, too.
>
> Yet another is the dogma about something magical
> being "transmitted" from the "holy tradition"
> when one does puja. If you tend to believe this,
> you're pretty much going to placebo-effect your-
> self into having a buzz, even if one didn't
> really happen.

There were also many stories of people seeing these robed, older men walking
around the
room while puja was going on during initiations-of some saying they saw "the
guy in the
picture" (Guru Dev) in the room, of children claiming to see these types of
things, and the
person being initiated seeing the very beings the puja was specifically to
invoke. I heard
these stories second and third hand.  I never had this happen while I was
initiating, altho
there were a few times while doing the puja alone, when I suddenly found myself
on my
knees in front of the table and feeling great devotion to Guru Dev.