Edg, Obama picks people with whom he agrees. He doesn't pick a tabula
rasa on which to write his policy, that would mean starting from
scratch, an impossible task given the breadth of issues he has to deal
with. Recently, everyone in town was having a fit over Vilsack's
appointment to Secretary of Agriculture because he doesn't appeal to
the organic purists. All their wailing and gnashing of teeth on carrot
sticks, didn't help, Vilsack rules.

Yes, the buck stops with Obama, but make no mistake about it, whoever
Obama chooses for his administration is a clear indication of the
policies he wants to implement. If Obama wanted to indicate his
support for public schools he would have picked such an advocate and
not someone like Duncan who will probably repackage Bush's "No Child
Left Behind" but with Obama's stamp of approval on it. Forewarned is
forearmed.