If a kid has to take an entrance exam to get into a school, it should
be categorized as a private school and should not receive one dime of
taxpayer money. The kids who can't pass the entrance exam and have to
go to a public school should have the same opportunities for a good
education as the private school robbing them of tax payer funds. I
posted my reasons for this opinion in my post to Boo. #206806

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "sparaig" <lengli...@...> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "raunchydog" <raunchydog@> wrote:
> >
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "sparaig" <LEnglish5@> wrote:
> > >

> > > The best public high school in the USA is a charter school here in
> > Tucson, AZ.
> > >
> > > Charter schools aren't privately funded, and must maintain certain
> > standards
> > > with the state school board.
> > >

> > > L.
> > >

> > What exactly is the criteria that defines it as a "good" school and
> > what is the socioeconomic status of the student population? If the
> > charter school is in an affluent area, I doubt you will see it
> > catering to the military. Good PR can make any school look terrific,
> > if the motive is profit, showcasing a school as a sales tool. The
> > thing that has bugged me about school vouchers for years is that it
> > diverts money from public schools with the intention of leaving them
> > to crumble. Bush just accelerated the process with NCLB. If we had
> > used the money to improve public schools, EVERYONE would have a chance
> > to get a great education. Privatizing schools only serves to widen the
> > gap between the haves and the have nots.
> >

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BASIS_Charter_School
>

> Economic-status of kids is all over the place. There's a waiting
list to get in,
> and you have to pass an entrance exam at the start of each school
year (new
> AND returning students). There's also no provisions for physical
handicaps
> other than wheelchair access and the like and physical
education/sports is
> minimalist.
>
> My son went there for several years, startiong in the middle school.
> The first year they gave PSAT tests he
> scored the highest in the school, but had to drop out before he was
eligible for
> scholarships and so on. Finally got his GED. Ironic, because when he
was 13,
> he aced the local community college entrance exams, but they
wouldn't accept
> him because he wasn't ready emotionally. Luckily we got him into
BASIS that