--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "raunchydog" <raunchy...@...> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "sparaig" <LEnglish5@> wrote:
> >

> > The best public high school in the USA is a charter school here in
> Tucson, AZ.
> >
> > Charter schools aren't privately funded, and must maintain certain
> standards
> > with the state school board.
> >

> > L.
> >

> What exactly is the criteria that defines it as a "good" school and
> what is the socioeconomic status of the student population? If the
> charter school is in an affluent area, I doubt you will see it
> catering to the military. Good PR can make any school look terrific,
> if the motive is profit, showcasing a school as a sales tool. The
> thing that has bugged me about school vouchers for years is that it
> diverts money from public schools with the intention of leaving them
> to crumble. Bush just accelerated the process with NCLB. If we had
> used the money to improve public schools, EVERYONE would have a chance
> to get a great education. Privatizing schools only serves to widen the
> gap between the haves and the have nots.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BASIS_Charter_School

Economic-status of kids is all over the place. There's a waiting list to get
in,
and you have to pass an entrance exam at the start of each school year (new
AND returning students). There's also no provisions for physical handicaps
other than wheelchair access and the like and physical education/sports is
minimalist.

My son went there for several years, startiong in the middle school.
The first year they gave PSAT tests he
scored the highest in the school, but had to drop out before he was eligible for
scholarships and so on. Finally got his GED. Ironic, because when he was 13,
he aced the local community college entrance exams, but they wouldn't accept
him because he wasn't ready emotionally. Luckily we got him into BASIS that
year because regular school was boring beyond belief for him.

L.