--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "sparaig" <lengli...@...> wrote:

> The best public high school in the USA is a charter school here in
Tucson, AZ.

> Charter schools aren't privately funded, and must maintain certain
standards
> with the state school board.
>

> L.

What exactly is the criteria that defines it as a "good" school and
what is the socioeconomic status of the student population? If the
charter school is in an affluent area, I doubt you will see it
catering to the military. Good PR can make any school look terrific,
if the motive is profit, showcasing a school as a sales tool. The
thing that has bugged me about school vouchers for years is that it
diverts money from public schools with the intention of leaving them
to crumble. Bush just accelerated the process with NCLB. If we had
used the money to improve public schools, EVERYONE would have a chance
to get a great education. Privatizing schools only serves to widen the
gap between the haves and the have nots.