--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Fairfield Lifer <fairfield.li...@...>
wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 1:48 PM, sparaig <lengli...@...> wrote:
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Fairfield Lifer <fairfield.lifer@>
> > wrote:
> > [...]
> SNIP
> >

> > That's kinda inevitable given what reincarnation implies. I recall a
> > rabbi who got in trouble for sayign the same thing about the victims
> > of the Holocaust.
> >

> Oh my.  It's a wonder he wasn't burned at the stake.  A big pc no no.
> Look what happened to Watson, the discoverer of DNA.  It's a wonder he
> wasn't stripped of his Nobel Prize.
>
> SNIP
> >
> > And interesting belief. why do you have a problem with MMY's beliefs?
> >

> My problem with Maharishi's statement about pundit genetics is that
> for someone who had a science degree, he certainly played fast and
> loose with science constructs.  We've finding that there is very
> little difference, genetically, between a human being and a chicken.
> A couple genes between a chicken and a dinosaur.   So to say that
> pundits have special genetics that enable them to chant the way they
> do is really pushing it.  Everybody wants to say that this or that is
> in their genes.  And we're finding it ain't so.  Like for example the
> big fat wave that's gone on around the world is not a result of fat
> genes per say but the result of the environment our grandparents'
> genes experienced:  the epigenetics.  What's wrong with just saying
> that this has been in the family for generations?  You learn best
> growing up in the environment.
>
> Maharishi's statements about being born into your dharma/karma?  Well,
> carried to the logical conclusion there's no more we can do in the
> world.  The poor will always be with us, birth defects are tough luck.
>  I had a MD friend who tried to convince me that her chart said she'd
> always poor.  I was convinced that she grew up in a redneck family and
> carried their redneck ways into the world.  So I guess I don't have a
> problem with Maharishi's statements, but I do have a problem when
> carried to the point of fatalism.
>
> >> Is it racist to say
> >> that the black community needs to be approached a certain way to be
> >> enticed into starting TM?
> >
> > Er, aside from the $20 million that the NIH has given to MUM to do research
> > on the effects of TM on blacks' BP?
> >
> > might as well ask why so few American Indians do TM.
> >

> Actually, there were quite a few campaigns during the Merv wave to
> bring TM to the black communities.  Just didn't work out.
>
> As far as Native Americans (let's not count Alaskans, for the time
> being), well have you ever been to a reservation?  I've been to many.
> There are some which are doing quite well.  A few of them train the
> iron workers.  Without these Native Americans we wouldn't have the
> American skylines or many of our amazing bridges.  The rest of them
> have dreadful amounts of poverty, alcoholism, drug abuse, glue
> [...]

I missed the meeting but the TM Center in Tucson held a pot luck dinner a couple
of weeks ago with guests (new tmers) from an American Indian tribe who were
learning TM under the auspices of the David Lynch FOundation and they
discussed upcoming research on TM and diabetics, a big problem in certain
tribes...